Miyazaki prefecture-born nikumaki-onigiri, is a rice ball wrapped with thinly sliced meat, and has been very popular since a couple of years ago. It is a delicious fast food and also perfect for hearty bento.
Here is a nikumaki-onigiri recipe by Midori Kitagawa who teaches at a cooking school for children in Fukuoka city.
– INGREDIENTS –
2 Rice Balls (salted)
2 thinly-sliced pork or beef
– For sauce –
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Mirin
1/2 tbsp sugar
– DIRECTIONS –
1. Wrap a slice of meat around an oval shaped rice ball.
2. Use plastic wrap to mold, and make sure that the meat and rice firmly stuck together.
3. Place the rice balls on a pan, the meat overlapped side down.
4. Fry them until they brown. And then take them out of the pan.
5. Mix the sauce ingredients and boil down in the pan.
6. Throw the rice balls into the sauce and brown them dark.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the rice balls.
You can add cheese on your rice ball, or decorate them with seaweed and fish cake to make faces!
You should follow me on Twitter.